Wednesday, June 16, 2004

The Streets at Neumo's 6/15

Just got back from seeing the Streets at Neumo's here in Seattle. An amazing show. For those of you who don't know who they are, the Streets are a British group featuring hip-hop, ska, r&b, garage, and jazz. Some of the beats on their latest album reminds me of something revolutionary hip-hop producer Timbaland could be responsible for. Rapper Mike Skinner's lyrics tell a story of everyday life. Life in the streets, life at his girlfriend's "flat", etc.

Back to tonight's show. As soon as they got on stage, the crowd was feeling them. I can honestly say I haven't seen this many people doing the pogo at the same time since I've been in Seattle. From beginning to end, the crowd was dancing and dancing hard. While some feel their newest album, A Grand Don't Come for Free, isn't easily accessible for everyone because of the inventive beats, this wasn't the case live. While the night was nonstop booty shaking, there was a point where I wished the guy next to me would stop shaking it. Mainly because he didn't realize how big he was and how the people around him didn't enjoy getting slammed into in 4/4 time. What also struck me was how white the crowd was. But I guess that's also a reflection of Seattle.

I didn't catch the names of the openers, but those emcees were no slouches. While there was nothing too original or inventive about their rhymes or their beats, they did what they did well.

No comments: